gemini 2 review Congress Minutes

Congress Minutes

UMD Student Association

*KPLZ 312*

October 20th, 2011

 

1.    Call to Order at 5:00 PM

2.    Guest Introductions

a.    Dr. Lisa Erwin

3.    Roll Call – Brittany Nystrom

4.    Approval of the Minutes

5.    Approval of Agenda

6.    Executive Reports

a.    Academic Affairs – Travis Lindberg

i.    No report

b.    Student Affairs – TJ Kiewatt

i.    T-shirts came in and are being handed out

ii.    Flag football

1.    Try to be there like 20 min early

2.    Even though its parents weekend we still need you guys there

3.    3 games at a time – 20 minutes each

4.    TKE reefing and GSS handing stuff out

iii.    Tailgating @ 1130am

1.    Student section

2.    Decorating car contests

3.    Temporary tattoos

c.    Admin and Finance –Zach Filipovich

i.    Mayor ness is coming

ii.    Budget committee meeting

1.    Last week

2.    Received 25 mill more than expected

a.    UMD will only see 7/8 hundred thousand

iii.    FAC- emails being and have been sent out

a.    Hopefully next week checks will be written

b.    Following weeks the checks will be sent out to the groups

d.    Rep to Regents – Molly Tomfohrde

i.    American Indian Learning Resource Center

1.    Northwest corner of campus near the Alworth Planetarium

2.    Will house approx. 21 programs currently scattered around campus

3.    Approved by Regents during Friday’s meeting

a.    Project is currently prioritized as number 5/5 on the Capital Budget

4.    Will be trying to raise more money within the next few months, so that we don’t have to rely as heavily on state appropriations to fund this

a.    Required that we must provide 1/3 of the funds for this project

ii.    MSLC

1.    Trying to figure out how and to what extent us student reps will be involved

iii.    UMD logo

1.    meeting with Kelsey and Sue Banovetz next Tuesday (?) to discuss the matter

iv.    Landscape on Higher Education work session

1.    Presented by President Kaler

2.    Emailed the Powerpoint out earlier today

v.    Hannah will be going to the board meetings in Dec.

vi.    Student representative report for the Regents to be presented during the December meetings

1.    Our topic is on “University System Climate & Safety”

2.    With the recent events that have happened on our campus, I feel this is a fitting topic to bring fourth to the regents

e.    Freshmen President – Ava Heinrich

i.    Freshman committee has started coming up with initiatives

1.    Including breathe free

2.    Students supporting students

3.    Longer dc hours

ii.    Freshman google doc is still open

1.    Will be emailing it to Hannah soon(?)

iii.    Looking like Tuesday will be when they will be having their meetings

f.      Systems Administrator—Alex Carnes

i.    No report

g.    Student Legislative Coalition – Jason Reid

i.    Is at chambers of congress dinner

ii.    SLC meet with Betty Green this morning

1.    Kicking off the campaign for students to sign postcards in supporting AILRC

iii.    In the statesman on Nov.2nd there will be an article about the Mayor Don Ness forum

iv.    LCP next week is the intro meeting

h.    Presidential Report – Hannah Mumm

i.    Ally Training

1.    Exec board will be going through this with Angie Nichols and Danny Frank starting next Tuesday.

2.    It will cover about two weeks. More updates will be announced as they become available.

ii.    ACUI Conference

1.    Nov 3rd-5th – will be gone during this time.

2.    I will include information in my report once I get back.

3.    If you have any questions on the conference I urge you to talk to Corbin.

iii.    Pres. Blog

1.    I need all Directors and Vice Presidents to write up a quick blurb

a.    include what your committee has accomplished this year

2.    This will do in the first President’s Blog of the semester.

3.    These should be in my email no later than THIS Friday at 8pm.

a.    I will send the blog post to Alex this weekend and it should be available on the website my Monday.

b.    If you have any questions feel free to shoot me an email.

iv.    Woodland Signs/ Polar Bear Plunge

1.    We are still looking for people to sit on the Woodland signs conversation

a.    if you are interested please email me.

2.    Also if you are interested in more information regarding Polar Plunge or are interested in participating email me as well I have running lists for both.

v.    October 28th President Kaler will be here for a luncheon with Chancellor Black and 60 student leaders from across campus.

1.    After that luncheon there is the walkout on Griggs Field to show support for the MC.

2.    I ask that anyone who is available at this time (12:30) to show up and show their support.

3.    If you are an EXEC member and have a name tag I ask that you wear that as well.

4.    FYE has asked for Mac and PR to film the rally

7.    Old Business

8.    New Business

a.    Open Positions

i.    Senator

1.    CEHSP (1)

a.    Eric nominated Jimmy Cornish, Brandon seconded it

b.    Vote count: 28-0-4, nomination passes

ii.    Freshman representative

b.    Approval of New MAC Member

i.    Sean moves his nomination , TJ seconded it

ii.    Vote count for Kalli: 31-0-2, motion passes

9.    Director Reports

a.    Public Relations – Kevin Wehber

i.    No report

b.    Better Neighbors – Alex Aschenbrenner

i.    We are going to clean up the neighborhood

1.    This is the first annual

2.    Nov. 5 at 11 am – meet at the wedge

3.    Pizza will be served at 1pm

4.    Campus has alcohol bottles and other trash on campus

c.    Bulldog Taxi – Andy Blackwell

i.    There is a standard sheet for lost taxi card

1.    Fill it out and if you email it please check the box

2.    There are now smaller printed maps on the wall by Andy’s desk

ii.    First semester of last yr. there were 1210 riders(?) , for this last September alone there were 5706 riders w/ 2077 rides

d.    Campus Outreach – Taylor Glynn

i.    Just sent an email out

1.    Read the email and follow the directions

e.    Rules and Elections – Matthew Weber

i.    Went over the attendance policy and who to contact

1.

ii.    Next Thursday be ready for 1-6 of the bylaws

f.      Senate – Harrison Defries

g.    M.A.C. – Sean Finn

i.    Text book survey was today

1.    Went well

2.    Jeff Romano really likes the survey, tweaking it slightly

ii.    Dc survey- with Tim

1.    He is liking it

2.    Will be finalized and then sent to the cities

iii.    Meeting Oct. 26 with Tim at 8am dc

iv.    Focus group

1.    Tabling Tuesday outside the office

10.  Professional Student Personnel Reports

a.    Chief of Staff – Brittany Nystrom

i.    Contact sheets are in your mailboxes

ii.    We got 3rd place for the office decorating contest- out of 5 rooms

iii.    If you haven’t emailed me about NOT being @ flag football tomorrow- it’s now considered unexcused- 630 pm

iv.    Try to learn the dance routine I sent out today! Know it for the homecoming game

v.    If you haven’t posted info on facebook about the tournament please do!

b.    Graphic Designer — Tyler Schumann

i.    The video will be done by next week- doing it solo

ii.    Big banner for the outside of the office

1.    Needs to get the measurements and pricing

iii.    Looking into floor graphics to go outside the office

iv.    Flag football

11.  Balla Award

a.    Ava gives the award to Brittany

i.    Given because when Ava needed any help or advice Brittany way always there to help

12.  Advisors Minute

13.  Open Announcements

a.    If you’re going skating- meet Travis at RSOP @ the front desk

i.    You can pay him for the skates later

b.    If you have any questions regarding the flag football tournament tomorrow please email Kimmy

c.    If you haven’t gotten your SA shirt yet, let Tj know

d.    The DRAG show is this Saturday at 7pm in the ballroom

e.    Kelsey, molly, and marc w/ anyone else who wants to go- talking about the logo

i.    Probably sometime next Tuesday

14.  Adjournment

a.    Motioned by marissa, seconded by steve